Cool Facts About Cockatiels


Cool Facts About Cockatiels

Cockatiels are friendly pet birds preferred by many people. The bird is smaller, cheaper, and less noisy as compared to parrots. The following are cool facts about Cockatiels that you didn’t know.

Lifespan

Cockatiels have a shorter life span as compared to the larger parrots. Depending on their care, diet, exercise, and attention, their lifespan also varies greatly. When well taken care of, the pet can live for between 10 to 25 years.

Most Cockatiels live to the age of 15 years old. The oldest recorded age of a cockatiel was 36 years old.

Behavior of Cockatiels

Cockatiels are social birds. The following are common behaviors shown by cockatiels when social privilege is taken away from them.

Facts About Cockatiels: Depression

When left alone for a long time, cockatiels get depressed. A depressed cockatiel can die quickly. The common signs of depression are; refusing to eat, pulling out feathers, becoming angry, or banging their head on the cage.

If you love cockatiels, it’s essential to spend enough time with them. If you cannot afford to have enough time with your bird, buy two cockatiels. The birds will enjoy their own company.

Facts About Cockatiels: Aggression

Aggression in birds varies in gender, and male cockatiels are not as aggressive as female. And compare to female birds which are more prone to hissing and biting. While the males are egotistical. And these cute little birds love to look at themselves in the mirror. However, the female loses the interest of staring at a mirror easily.

Types of Cocktails

Cool Facts About Cockatiels
Cool Facts About Cockatiels

Just like most birds, there are different species and varieties of cockatiels. The following are the common types.

  • Normal Grey Cockatiel – Grey is the natural color for most wild cockatiels. Mostly found in Australia, the males have white stripes on their wings. Their body is grey with a bright yellow head and orange cheek spots. The female cockatiels have pale orange cheeks and pale yellow heads.
  • Lutino Cockatiel – The Lutino cockatiels have a white, yellow head with bright orange spots on the cheek. The male and female Lutino look alike. It’s hard to differentiate both if you are not keen.
  • Whiteface Cockatiel – Most cockatiels have a yellow or orange head. However, the head of the whiteface Cockatiel is white. The female cockatiels have a grey face. The difference in their color is due to its mutation.
  • Cinnamon Cockatiel – Cinnamon Cockatiels resembles the grey birds. Instead of the grey color, their body has a silver-brown color. Some cockatiels appear browner as compared to others. The female birds do not have a yellow face but light orange cheeks.
  • Pearl Cockatiels – Mutation claims the color of the pearl cockatiels. The feathers of the pearl bird are spotted with yellow and white pigments, and the patterns of the spots vary among the birds. Male birds as they get older, they lose their spot. The females maintain their spots all through their lives.
  • Pied Cockatiels – Pied Cockatiels have yellow and white patches all over the body. The patches form 75% of the body colors. The other 25% are either cinnamon or grey color. It’s challenging to differentiate the gender of pied cockatiels.

Final Fact: Cockatiels are Prone to Fright Attacks at Night

 Cool Facts About Cockatiels
Cool Facts About Cockatiels

At night when the cage is closed, the bird starts to thrash around. Even when the lights are turned on, the bird continues thrashing for a few minutes. To prevent the fright attacks, ensure you put a night light near the bird’s cage. Turn the light on at night for the bird.

Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter
Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter