When it comes to interesting facts, some animals simply steal the limelight with their appearance, behaviour and attitude. And one of the species topping that chart is the birds. Apparently, the interesting facts about birds are unlimited and you might already know some of them. However, not all of them.
Did you know that the scared chicken that you see every day running here and there, is the closest relative of Tyrannosaurus rex? Not only chickens, but the world’s largest bird Ostrich belongs to the same category as well. Feeling interested? Come let’s know about some of the interesting facts about birds, which you will be amazed to know.
Few Unbelievable Yet Interesting Facts About Birds
- If you had a metabolism rate of Hummingbird, you would have to eat around 285 pounds of meat per day to keep up. Moreover, your lifespan would have reduced drastically too because of the higher metabolism rate.
- According to the World Wildlife Federation, the bearded vultures survive on diet consisting of 70-90% bones. In case they fail to break the bone, they fly up with it and drop it to the ground to break it. And then they feed on the marrow and smaller pieces.
- Pigeons and ravens are intelligent enough then we think and are capable of recognizing faces even. Because of this and their intelligence, they were used to send long-distance messages for many years.
- California Condors have a wingspan of up to 9.5 feet. Hence, while flying they are often mistaken with a small flying aeroplane.
- The Bassian Thrush farts at its prey to make them move out of their hole and then feed on them.
Few Amazing Facts About Their Wings And Beaks
- The babies of Hoatzins have tiny claws in their wings. While they grow up and learn to fly, the claws in the wings disappear. The claws in the wings of the babies help them to climb up and down the trees. This helps them to survive from the attack of the predators.
- We all know that Ostriches have wings but they can’t fly. But do you know, they can run at a speed of up to 97km/h? Many of the motor vehicles even don’t clock that speed. Just imagine, you driving your car and you see an ostrich overtaking you while running.
- The hummingbird can fly incredibly fast, but did you know that they are the only bird who can fly backwards too?
- With a length of 2 inches, the Bee Hummingbirds are the smallest bird on the planet.
- The bearded vultures are found to dye their feather in red soil. Studies say that they do this on purpose, to prove their dominance on other birds. The red soil on their feathers somehow resembles to dried blood signifying the fate of its prey.
- Pelicans do not use the pouch in their beak to store the food. Rather, they use it to trap their prey. The pouch is capable of extracting the extra amount of water it might have swallowed while catching its prey from the water. And once it’s done, they swallow the prey.
There are several other interesting and funny bird facts. And even there are numerous facts which are still unknown to us regarding birds. Hope you enjoyed the article and don’t forget to share the interesting facts that you know.